WCW Bash at the Beach was one of the most important pay-per-view events in World Championship Wrestling. While most fans looked to Starrcade as the biggest show of the year due to its lineage, Bash at the Beach was always equally important to the company, especially in terms of mainstream appeal. Bash at the Beach started under the name of "WCW Beach Blast" in June 1992. In 1994, it officially changed its name to "Bash at the Beach" (merging the names of Beach Blast and Great American Bash, its two summer-themed pay-per-view events) for the first pay-per-view encounter between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan.
The following year, Great American Bash returned to the pay-per-view calendar (in June, which was previously held by Beach Blast) and Bash at the Beach remained in July, often receiving more publicity and historic moments than its older counterpart. Some of the sports figures featured at Bash at the Beach included Shaquille O'Neal, Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, and Mills Lane.
Below is the complete list of each year's event with dates and the headlining match listed (the events were not dated, but the sequence is listed here for convenience and cross-reference):
- Beach Blast 1992: WCW Champion Sting beat Cactus Jack in a falls count anywhere match.
- Beach Blast 1993: Davey Boy Smith & Sting defeated Big Van Vader & Sid Vicious.
- Bash at the Beach 1994: Hulk Hogan pinned WCW Champion Ric Flair to win the WCW title.
- Bash at the Beach 1995: WCW Champion Hulk Hogan beat Big Van Vader inside a steel cage.
- Bash at the Beach 1996: Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, & Hulk Hogan beat Randy Savage, Lex Luger, & Sting.
- Bash at the Beach 1997: Lex Luger & The Giant defeated WCW Champion Hulk Hogan & Dennis Rodman.
- Bash at the Beach 1998: Hulk Hogan & Dennis Rodman beat Diamond Dallas Page & Karl Malone.
- Bash at the Beach 1999: Randy Savage & Sid Vicious beat Kevin Nash & Sting (Savage won the WCW title).
- Bash at the Beach 2000: Booker T defeated Jeff Jarrett to win the WCW title after Vince Russo screwed Hulk Hogan out of the scheduled match.
World Wrestling Entertainment has owned the rights to Bash at the Beach since it purchased WCW in March 2001, but it has yet to host an event under that name. However it has released several matches from WCW Bash at the Beach events in its DVD library.