The Infinty Gauntlet is the left glove of Thanos of Titan, adorned with the six Infinity Gems. The bearer of the Infinity Gauntlet has control over every facet of reality, in essence becoming existence itself.
The six Infinity Gems are as follows:
- Red: Power - Accesses all power and energy that ever has or will exist, and can back the other gems and boost their effects. Allows the user to duplicate almost any physical superhuman ability and become invincible.
- Yellow: Reality - Allows the user to fulfill wishes, even if the wish is in direct contradiction with scientific laws.
- Blue: Mind - Allows the user to boost mental power and access the thoughts and dreams of other beings. Backed by the Power Gem, the Mind Gem can access all minds in existence simultaneously.
- Purple: Space - Allows the user to exist in any location (or all locations), move any object anywhere throughout the universe and warp or rearrange space.
- Orange: Time - Allows the user total control over the past, present and future. Allows time travel, can age and deage beings and also be used as a weapon by trapping enemies or entire worlds in unending loops of time.
- Green: Soul - This gem is sentient and allows the user to steal, manipulate and alter souls, living or dead. The gem is the gateway to an idyllic pocket-universe.
(In some (stupid) universes, a seventh Infinity Gem exists. It is colored Gold, and is the Ego Gem. It contains the consciousness of the cosmic entity Nemesis, who originally formed the Infinity Gems. But that shit was made up later, and is non-canonical.)
The Infinity Gems were combined onto the Infinity Gauntlet by Thanos of Titan, which he used to take over the universe. It was due to only his arrogance and latent feelings of unworthiness that he was able to be defeated by a pantheon of the Marvel Universe's strongest warriors, including Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and others. At the end of the battle, Adam Warlock gave the Gems to a group known as the Infinity Watch, to assure they would never be brought together, again. Warlock himself adorned the Soul Gem in his forehead. Drax the Destroyer was given the Power Gem, which he swallowed, mistaking it for a jelly bean. Gamora, adopted daughter of Thanos, was given the Time Gem. Moondragon is given the Mind Gem. Pip the Troll is given the Space Gem, and the Reality Gem is given to a secret, sixth member.
Adam Warlock's estranged evil, The Magus then collected the Infinity Gems, bringing to the Marvel Universe a horde of evil doppelgangers. Magus would have taken over the Universe, if the Reality Gem on his version of the Gauntlet had not been a fake (Thanos reveals that he had the true Reality Gem, and was the secret, sixth member of the Infinity Watch, all along). The Magus is defeated, and the Infinity Gems are again spread out over the Universe.
Later, Galactus would collect the Infinity Gems to attempt to rid himself of his eternal hunger. The attempt fails, and the Gems are again scattered.
It was revealed in the JLA/Avengers crossover that the Infinity Gems of the Marvel Universe do not work in the DC Universe; It is later proven that the Infinity Gems from any given dimension will work only in that dimension, and no others.
As far as anybody knows, currently, Reed Richards possesses all the Infinity Gems.